Wakamiya Shrine

The tower gate and the pair of guardian dogs of Wakamiya Shrine are designated as City's Cultural Properties.
According to "Higo Kokushi, Kumamoto Chronography," Wakamiya Shrine was founded by Aso Taigu Koreyasu in 1160 in Kamenoko area of Ikeda Village. The shrine was moved to the current location in 1678.
Until now, the shrine experienced some damages by natural disasters several times, and needed to rebuild the main building. The tower gate was built in the early Edo period style. The gingko tree on the precinct was designated as Furusato Kumamoto Tree on March 12, 1981.